I too accept we all know how to brush & floss, but the question is – “Are we doing it effectively?”
Read on to see how actually we should be taking care when brushing or flossing and how they help us in maintaining oral care.
There is little doubt that – “The best way to take care of our mouth is to brush twice a day”.
Brushing helps to remove the sticky bio-film of bacteria termed as “plaque” that collects on the gums & teeth.
Plaque creates acids & other toxins that can damage your teeth & gums.
Dental flossing helps to get rid of food particles that are stuck in between the teeth, where possibly a toothbrush cannot reach.
Using a mouthwash also helps fight plaque & gives overall freshness to the mouth.
HOW TO GET MOST OUT OF YOUR BRUSHING?
1. Brush for atleast 2 minutes – twice a day, with a flouridated toothpaste.
2. Pay special attention to the teeth in the back – they may have more plaque on them.
3. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles.
4. Brush with gentle strokes so that you don’t wear away your gums & teeth.
5. Change your toothbrush every 3 months – Worn bristles manage to remove less plaque only.
6. Brush your tongue too whenever you brush your teeth – to help freshen your breath. Brush the tongue from back to front with gentle sweeping strokes.
ARE YOU HOLDING YOUR TOOTHBRUSH CORRECTLY?
1. Hold the toothbrush at a 45 degree angle to the gumline.
Brush only 2-3 teeth at one time. Move the brush from the gums to the edge of the teeth.
2. Hold the toothbrush vertically to clean the upper & lower front teeth from behind.
Use gentle up & down strokes with the brush tip.
HOW TO FLOSS?
Flossing everyday removes plaque along the gumline & from between the teeth.
1. Wind floss around your middle fingers.
2. Use your thumbs & index fingers in a churning action – to guide the floss in between the teeth.
3. Wrap the floss making a “C” shape while flossing.
4. Check yourself in the mirror while you floss. If your gums are red, swollen or bleeding visit a dentist.
HOW TO USE A POWER TOOTHBRUSH?
Power toothbrushes manage to remove more plaque than the normal, manual toothbrushes.
They have built-in features to protect gum & teeth too.
1. Simply move the brush head against one tooth at a time & the mechanical action of the brush would do the cleaning.
2. Gently direct the brush along the gumline too.
3. Sweep the brush along your tongue for fresher breath.
Most dentists don’t recomment any specific toothpaste unless there is a major medical condition.
Because, it is the brushing & flossing that matters more than what toothpaste is being used.
Your dentist may recommend u an inter-dental toothbrush too instead of a floss.
It is a brush that gets in between two teeth & helps remove food particles & plaque.
I am a lazy ass too & prefer a inter-dental brush to flossing.. 🙂
Let me tell you inter-dental brushes are quite addictive.. they will give you instant clean feeling when you remove stuck food particles/plaque from in between the teeth & gums.
I love to use these inter-dental brushes & only get the all-clean feel after using them daily! 😀
These simple steps will help you get teeth as good as pearls! 🙂
C ya![Image courtesy – Google]